Wednesday 22 October 2014

THE SATURDAY NIGHT EXPERIENCE | MUSIC


Oh yeah, finally got Jody Watley's album. All the way from Tokyo! (At the time of release, it was exclusively released to the Japanese market) I heard some of it a while back including the title track and was in love. It's like an atmospheric, 70s influenced, spiritual neo-soul typa sound set in the future. I love it when artists make conceptual albums and view making music as making art. I also love it when the album is spiritually soulful and each song flows into one another. The best example is obviously one of the greatest albums of all time by one of my favorite artists of all time, What's Going On by Marvin Gaye ! An absolute masterpiece ! Would love to make an album with similar concoctions one day...

P.S. Yep, I still collect CDs.. Why? Because I am from the cassette/CD generation and I'm not a fan of how everything has become digital! Now I know how the vinyl generation must have felt but imo CDs are the best. With CDs you can be really creative with the sleeve. You can put pictures, poems, anything in there to add to your art. Lyrics can also be put in there too. Mind you, I dont buy physical copies of every album I own. I mainly buy old albums and sometimes I go into Poudland and find absolute gems for only £1! (they are all preowned but refurblished. Ive found musical goodies such as Born To Do It by Craig David and sooo many more!)

CDs always give me nostalgia. The first CD I actually owned was the dance song Make Luv by Room 5:



It was my favorite song at the time (2003) and I remember being extremely addicted to it that I had to own the single. It was number 1 for weeksss! I also owned another single Baby Boy by Beyonce! And I think I bought Justified by Justin Timberlake too.


But the album I do remember wanting soo badly was Destiny's Child's Destiny Fulfilled. I asked for it for Christmas so my big bro got me it. The album is just wonderful.



Destiny Fulfilled is such a beautiful R&B album from start to finish and I loved how all three members were placed on equal grounds. The album really felt like a great finale to Destiny's Child's time as group. I used to always listen to it before going to bed and my favorite song was Game Over, the bonus track. Perfect ending to the album:


My big bro continued to buy me more CDs such as Janet Jackson's All For You, Ciara's Goodies and Estelle's The 18th Day. Haha, I talk about this like it was 20/30 years ago when it was merely 10. But I've only lived for 21 years!

Anyways, heres a song from Jody Watley's album. So smoooooth!


No comments:

Post a Comment